Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Let the First Chapter Begin

I came in late today due to a prior appointment so I really haven't done much yet this morning. My mind is already pretty scattered though. It leaps from what color I should get my nails done tonight, to what I'm going to pack for my NYC trip, to how terribly messy my room is. I'm in need of a large coffee after I finish writing this post to help me focus through the rest of the day! 

My best friend got a "big girl job" and is 3 days...5 rants...and 6 cries into it. Everyone seems to dread this talked about "real world". I even find myself at times saying "I don't want to grow up" or "the real world sucks". But what I am realizing is that I don't think I really mean it. I think it is somehow so programmed in our heads that after college this thing called the "real world" happens and we should be dreading it. Why though? Life is a series of steps...chapters you could call them. Since we have been born chapters have been ending. Elementary school, High School, relationships, friendships, leaving sports teams or clubs, etc.  But closing the chapter of college seems to be the most drastic for most. I think a lot of people see it as the last chapter of "fun"...which in my mind is setting you up to dread post college life if your going to assume that the fun ends with with graduation.

But you know what I think? I think all those other "chapters" were really just the prologue in this book of life. A prologue is written to establish a setting and give background information. It describes events that happen before the real start of the story. Our life prologue (everything up to college graduation) coaches us for everything we are about to endeavor on and accomplish. Without it...we wouldn't have the chance of surviving in the "real world". People should look toward the "real world" because that's what we have been preparing for our entire lives! 

For me, this dreadful "real world" seems exhilarating. I am so ready to grow up. I want a "big girl job" even if it sends me home in tears. Life is hard, I like a challenge and I can't wait until I'm presented the opportunity to accomplish something in this so called "real world" or what I would like to say, the first real chapter of my life.

Kimberly Wilson
PR Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment