Monday, May 20, 2013

What do you want to get out of it?



Hi, everyone! My name is Hanna and today is my very first day as a public relations intern at Esente Music Group. I’ll be a senior English Literature major at the University of New Hampshire in the fall. The past four summers I worked at a summer day camp running after various groups of five-year-olds, playing games and making up pirate names for each other (Captain Root Beard was created by a particularly brilliant and misbehaved child) and also making sure they didn’t accidentally kill themselves or each other. I loved my job at camp but I started to think about my future and realized I wanted to expand my skill set. I’ve thought for a long time that I will go to law school but I realized that there are a lot of other things I want to explore and that I wanted to try those things out before paying for law school and committing my life for three years. I think lawyers get a bad rap and I do think I would enjoy practicing law but I want to try a lot of different things. In my free time I practice vinyasa yoga- if you ever want to check out a class or learn something about yoga, I’m just a beginner but please ask me! I love it and would love for the whole world to practice.

I’ve really enjoyed my time here so far. Writing the blog posts is a bit like my homework assignments at school but I feel as though I’m doing something productive and practical instead of completing an assignment just to get a good grade. School is great and I know it’s good practice for our careers but it’s hard to remember that sometimes. I was so relieved to be offered the internship here. I believe in the validity of my major and that I can be a huge asset to businesses but humanities majors get a lot of flack and I felt as though the reputation of my major might precede me in a lot of interview situations. I’m really glad to find that is not the case! 

Language is so important to all aspects of a business and humanities majors understand how language works better than anyone. I really want to become familiar with the logistical side of business and public relations in particular and I'm already starting that. I think searching for leads will help me out a lot. I have a lot of ideas about how companies should present and brand themselves but I need to the practical, logistical skills to put the concepts to use. Plus I absolutely love dogs so any place with an office dog is the place for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment