Monday, May 20, 2013

Can I Borrow $40?....


So, bad news. Ron wasn’t joking about the parking tickets. I’ve already received 2...Pathetic. Now I'm basically paying to come to work!...
Dunkin Donuts--Police Station--Maximum 2-hr meter parking....not worth the risk as i've now unfortunately discovered.
woops, pretty dumb on my part. Lesson learned for sure :)

But good news, he wasn’t joking about the laid back, fun and motivating environment either.
 Everyone here is friendly, welcoming and more than willing to help with anything. 

Some more bad news. Ron was also honest when he stated that any job we apply to we are going to be competing with 1,700 other applicants. As a recent graduate from High Point University I’m already experiencing that honest truth.  I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Strategic Communication and a Minor in Marketing...so did about 500 other people just from my school. So I’ve only been out there for 2 weeks but within those 2 weeks my resume has landed in numerous piles with thousands of other resumes, overlooked and probably overturned.

So settling into the life of unemployment, I’m thrilled to have been given this internship opportunity where I can now find myself doing something productive during the days rather than weeping over my recent departure from 4 years of independence and fun to the return of my parent's house. This opportunity is not only a great resume builder but I like to think of it as a character builder as well. I’ve only been in this office 2 times now and I’ve already gathered some great advice and met some interesting people. So yah,  it can be discouraging getting out there in search of that dream job. But I’m inspired to find what makes me different, what makes me marketable, and what makes me the best while I intern here at Esente.

Today was my first day working with Esente after the interview on Saturday which left me excited to come in today. Although the environment is extremely laid back and full of joking around the projects and topics that we work on here at Esente are prominent, sobering, inspiring and certainly no joke. Today as my first assignment I had to write 3 articles for the anti-bullying blog. I’ve never worked that closely with anti-bullying campaigns before and after reading articles and researching prevention groups I was really moved. I read through many heart felt articles that truly motivated me to want to do something to make a difference. The anti-bullying blog is a great way to increase awareness about the bullying issues in the world and I’m glad I got to be a part of that today. 

We also had our first intern meeting today with the caffeine fueled, loud speaking and hilarious Ron Bellanti. His diverse analogies are not only comical but actually work in getting his points across in a crystal clear fashion. He really seems motivated to helping us find out what we want to achieve and then actually helping us reach that goal. I really look forward to some more honest advice  and I can't wait to see  what the rest of this summer has in store for me here at Esente! 


-Kim Wilson, the girl with those red tickets covering her car..

No comments:

Post a Comment