Monday, May 20, 2013

Language and Communication: The Music Connection


My name is Adam Sergott, and I've just started an internship with Esente Music Group. My thing is understanding communication. It's what we do. We interact with each other through sound, pictures, body language, print; but that's only the surface. How we choose to share ourselves becomes language. The food we make and share for and with each other becomes language. The dresser my grandfather made for me before I was born was a form of language, letting me know before I even knew him that he loved me. The beer I made for my girlfriend's birthday that took nine months to become mature was my way of saying, every day, for 270 days that I love her.

All of these experiences come together and become the substance of our lives. Some of these experiences become so large that there just isn't any way of communicating it in one medium. Sometimes taking one medium and translating it into another form creates an entirely new form of communication. Not unlike the first time the first person ever heard a song that played how they felt, or the first time a group of colors came together to display someones likeness. We strive as people to find better, more accurate ways of communicating.

And that's the goal. To share the languages that we all use, compare them and take notes, and in so doing, maybe we can find that perfect form of communicating. Doing research on bullying has shed some light on what happens when communication breaks down. One person feels shame and keeps quiet while others feel powerless and without agency. But the more we communicate and the more media we use, the better the chance of understanding one another presents itself. 

Music is one of the most powerful forms of communication. Through it we can see how others feel in a mixture of sounds words and imagery. We understand the context of the whole, our whole, our experience. While I'm here at Esente, I hope to gain another piece of the language puzzle. The more we communicate, the clearer things will become.


No comments:

Post a Comment