Monday, May 20, 2013

(Insert clever title here)-Peter Sliva

First impressions whether you live for the new experience or dread the uncertainty, we all experience it. Today my first impression of working as an Esente intern was as cliche to say, cool. My morning began as I awoke half frighten at seven not remembering if I had to be there at eight or nine. The seemingly half hour drive quickly, or should i say slowly, turned into a hour crawl past beeping horns and ironic bumper-stickers.  I arrived at the office twenty minutes (hopefully) early to a place I had driven once before. As I walked in some people were at a desks, laptops on, earbuds in yet there was no greeting, no hand holding, no awkward summer camp icebreakers. The boss Ron had said that we'd be basically on out own but I didn't believe him. Yet, all that was there to guide me was a power strip for my laptop and a sheet of instructions. There was a small one minute instruction, but even after that I was left alone to work. Just to have that freedom was well, liberating. I was not at a high school library where a teacher was using power point to teach me power point, I was not at university listening to a professor read verbatim from the text book, and I certainly was not at home hearing my father say "When you gettin' a job?" From working here even for a day, I felt more independent and resolute than I had the first day I tied my shoe in fourth grade. Today my first day was a good day. Even as I write this now I sit in my chair while smooth music plays and dogs runs around looking for someone to play with. 


-Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment