Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Why is Manta problematic?



Valerie Nelkin
St. Lawrence University ‘10
Graphics Intern 2013
 

Usually doing leads is pretty easy, just click the link, do your research, get your information, repeat.  However, when Manta decides to be annoying, it gets a little more complicated.  Today, for instance, if your list had multiple pages, Manta refused to go past the first page, so longer lists were pretty much impossible to do today.  Luckily, Laura came to the rescue!  A new technique for finding leads, where we basically just started from one business in a town, Google mapped it, and look around the map for more businesses.  Took awhile to adjust, but once I found my groove (by starting from the center point business and spiraling out) it turned out to be more interesting and less monotonous than using Manta.
We also had another epic intern meeting with Ron, where we learned about Joseph's Team, which is an autism group, and how they have comedy shows that the interns can volunteer to help with.  We also learned about resume building, and the importance of targeted resumes rather than general ones.  The easiest way to keep up the resumes being what Ron calls "modulating," or making lists of everything we've done, boxing up each individual thing to keep it easy to change up the resume when need be.
I also reworked one of my posters a bit:

Makes it seem a little darker and scary, but my text is still an issue I need to work on, but as soon as I'm happy with the text I think this poster will be completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment