Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Value and Hardships of Internet Research


This week we finished up the database of stadiums and arenas where Becca Levy or Jayna Linginger might be able to sing the National Anthem.  I kind of enjoyed going through some of the minor league/semi-professional websites.  Some of them looked shoddy enough that I was tempted to add them to an OnPoint leads list, and many of their oddball marketing strategies reminded me of Bull Durham for no particular reason.  When I lived in Sacramento I would sometimes tell people that I was a former minor league middle reliever in either the Red Sox or Mets organizations because I thought it would be funny.  It was - especially because nearly half of the people seemed to believe me.  But now I can't help but think how much more effective I might have been, had doing this kind of research occurred to me five years ago.  This is actually a serious point about the value of internet research.  Searching for contacts and sifting for relevant information is a use for the internet that never really occurred to me for some reason.  While I'm not likely to need the email of the Brockton Rox's pitching coach, I may need to find an editor at a magazine/newspaper, the programming director of a radio station, booking manager of a club, contact at a record label or film company and so forth.  In fact I'm sure that my past ignorance of these depths of the Internet have stood in my way at some time or another, but now I know how to go about navigating through them.   

This week we're starting on town-by-town lists of High School and Middle School contacts (as well as local police, fire departments, hospitals, and superior officer's unions).  I thought that I was breezing through it until I realized we were suppose to include EVERY contact we could find.  Seems like we're not just throwing spaghetti at the wall, but a couple generically modified tomatoes and an oregano plant as well. It makes sense since every given person who works in a school might be concerned about bullying.  And even if the principal isn't interested, I'm willing to bet that getting enough teachers and staff excited about it will pressure him to let Becca visit.  But there are a lot of names.  Luckily, they're at least pretty easy to come by.  It probably helps that it's a matter of public record (I think).  Not so much with private schools or police/fire departments and I'm yet to find any evidence of a superior officer's union, but generally speaking, you can find what you're looking for.

Travis Long
Esente Music Group
PR Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment