Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Esente Interning Today

I know that on some level I'm supposed to be disappointed that I'm not doing more writing here.  Perhaps it's because I've been out of college long enough that I'm used to not be able to to do exactly what I think I should be doing, but I'm getting pretty into list/database building.  Whether its the state Media List or National Anthem List for Becca Levy and Jayna Linginger, or the leads list for OnPoint Media, I like making progress on the something quantifiable.  I think that part of it is that I can see similarities between this and my former profession, line cooking.  In restaurant work there is something we referred to as the 'economy of movement'.  In cooking this involves being able to plate a meal, while reading a ticket, while tossing a sauté pan in the sink and closing a refrigerator with your foot.  Here it means keeping your fingers on the 'cut' and 'paste' buttons with one eye on the webpage and one on the spreadsheet.  Each of these activities (both cases) take a second or two at the most, but when you're able to move economically, over the course of a couple hours, it can add up significantly.  It's strange that this skill can be so easily adapted and transferred.

Yesterday afternoon we looked at some video advertisements for the internship, made by past interns.  It occurred to me that it might be a chance to revive my stand-up comedy career but quickly thought better of it.  Still, I think it will be a beneficial exercise in writing concisely.  Before lunch yesterday, another intern and myself were asked to move some tables and chairs around to prepare for a soup-based lunch we would all be having.  Good to know that I can add interior decorating and moderate lifting to my resume.


Travis Long
Esente Music Group
PR Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment