Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Punch or Tickle

Today has been a day, to say the least. The usual Internet research for OnPoint Media for leads isn't going as well as I had anticipated. Yesterday I had hoped to surpass a number I collected the previous day, but I was unable to reach the quota I had set for myself. And I thought yesterday was a bad day. Today has been the worst day of leads I have done since I started them. I finished up a list of "other business services" in North Reading then continued onto several lists for Georgetown, MA.

Now I'm not sure if the other interns were having a similar problem, but it seemed that any of the businesses I was looking for didn't have a website or even a Facebook page. Really? Are these businesses just not able to afford a website or are they just ignorant to the times? Having a website or even a Facebook is HUGE in driving revenue for any business. The times have changed, and the means of reaching out to potential customers and clients has changed as well. Time to update and at least set up a Facebook page for people to check out. Pretty sure it doesn't cost anything to have a Facebook page, so some businesses could at least do this in order to attract some more attention.

Anyways... So I haven't had such a good day for leads, not entirely sure of the unimpressive numbers for today. I don't even want to think about that.

We also had a small meeting today with Ron who wanted to talk about the extent of our promotional doings yesterday. One of the points that he wanted to make was gaining the attention of someone who could be beneficial to our progress. The case yesterday was that one of the interns received an email urging them to stop spamming the Coldplay Facebook with messages. Ron wasn't entirely dissatisfied with this as he said if you want to attract someone's attention you can either punch them in the face or tickle them. Now of course, he didn't mean this literally. Rather you need to be aggressive in your approach or you chip away at at them until they acknowledge your efforts. Essentially we succeeded at what we were attempting to do, get someone's attention.

We started doing some promotional work for Becca Levy's cover of Coldplay's "Fix You". All of us interns were using various social media outlets in order to reach out to more people and drive traffic to Becca's YouTube video. We were utilizing Facebook, Twitter, blog sites and even reaching out to our own family and friends to get them interested in what we are working on.

So far the outcome for our efforts have paid off, as we were able to drive several thousand more viewers to the video and seem to be attracting some attention for Becca. I was able to gain the attention of an Anti-bullying page on Facebook and they had requested an Mp3 of the song to play on a radio show they host. This was pretty exciting to see that someone was genuinely interested in helping Becca spread her message. I can't wait to see what other results our efforts are able to bring.

Joe Wing
Salem State University '14
Esente Graphic Design Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment